You may manually submit essay grades just as you did before the new on-board essay feature was implemented.
You are not required to use the integrated essay functionality in EdReady. We know that some schools and ISDs may have teachers outside of Texas College Bridge that are grading essays, or you may have an offline writing, submission, and grading process that is working well for you.
The process is slightly different now, because students will already have the Essay Grade category on their accounts. All students begin with a status of "Not Started". You will need to delete it and add a new value to the Essay Grade category. Instructions follow.
Note: We cannot disable the essay writing area for your students. If you do not want your students to write their essay in EdReady, you should advise them to ignore that part of their study path.
This article contains the following information:
If you are having students write their essay offline, instructors need to share the assignment directly with their students.
In order to conditionally enroll in a reading/writing-met course at a Texas post-secondary institution, the student needs to earn a C or better on the essay portion of the TX College Bridge. The essay must include:
- A minimum of four (4) paragraphs – intro, two (2) body, conclusion;
- A minimum of five (5) sentences in each paragraph
Requirements for Grading the Essay
The essay will be graded by a certified/credentialed teacher, and the grading should be based upon the narrative essay rubric.
Students who are close to passing with a C, but need some intentional revision, can have a second chance to revise and pass this essay with a C or better based upon intentional feedback given by the instructor.
Each instructor should use his/her own background, as well as their knowledge of the assignment within the broader scope of the class, to determine the grade that a student has earned.
Manually Reporting Essay Grades
IMPORTANT - PLEASE READ
The new system gives all English students an essay grade of "Not Started" from the time they begin working in EdReady.
If essays are being written and graded offline, you will need to EDIT the "Essay Grade" category in your student's account to indicate their grade.
Next, you will need to DELETE the existing "Not Started" grade, and then "Create New Value" to set the correct grade.
The rest of this article details the steps to do this.
Note: The instructions below explain how to manage Essay Grades for a single student. If you need to add Essay Grades for several students, we suggest you use the Bulk Actions functionality (Add or Update Category): instructions HERE.
1. Log into EdReady
2. Click the Manage Account button from your EdReady dashboard to access the administrative pages in EdReady.
3. You will land on the Groups tab. Click on the Students tab.
4. Click the Edit icon () for the user you want to update.
5. Click on the user's Categories tab.
- Click the Edit button () to edit the Essay Grade category.
- Click the Delete button () to remove the existing value ("Not Started" by default, but may be different if the student has already worked on their essay in the platform).
- Click the Create Value button () at the top right of the screen to bring up the menu of essay grade options and select the appropriate value.
6. Not Common: If the student does not have an Essay Grade, click the Create new category button.
c. Select Essay from the dropdown menu, then click the Next button
d. Select the user's grade from the Values dropdown menu. The options are:
- Pass: the student has successfully completed and passed the essay assignment. Students must have this value, along with a score of 90+ for each Stage of Texas College Bridge English to earn their certificate of completion.
- Fail: the student has completed but did not pass the essay assignment
- Incomplete: can be used for any student that does not yet have a Passing Essay Grade
Note: If the student already has a value in the essay category, first delete the essay value (not the entire essay category). Then add the new essay value.
e. Click the Save button
f. Use the breadcrumbs return to the user's main Categories tab: you will now see the Essay Grade listed
Changing the Essay Grade
As before, if the user's Essay Grade changes, you can Edit () the Essay Grade category: you will need to delete () the assigned value and then can add the new grade.