This article contains the following information:
A student will first need to submit their essay for grading: until a student has written and submitted their essay, there will be nothing for their teacher to see or do. Once it has been submitted, it can be reviewed: the reviewer can highlight areas of the writing and add comments, and add a grade.
Detailed instructions are below, or you can reference these steps in the Teacher Quick Start Guide - Essay document.
Access Student Essay
You can find more detailed instructions here: Viewing Submitted Essays
Provide Feedback and Grade
1. Click the Grade link for the essay you want to review
2. If this is the first time you are reviewing this essay, you will see on-screen instructions. (You can select the "Hide instructions on startup" checkbox at the top of the page if you do not want to see the instructions again.) Click the Continue button to access the essay submission.
3. The student's essay is displayed on-screen: you will make comments and give the student a grade of "Pass" or "Incomplete:"
- A grade of "Pass" means the student has met the requirements of the essay. This option will enter a grade of "Pass" in the student's account and return your comments to the student. The student will be notified and will not be required to do any further work on the essay.
- A grade of "Incomplete" will return the essay to the student for another attempt. The student will be notified and will be required to resubmit their essay.
To make comments: Highlight a section of the text you wish to comment on. A comment box will appear to the right of the essay where you can type specific suggestions that your student will see. Close and open the comment boxes with the plus/minus sign at the top left of each box. Remove a comment with the "Delete" link at the bottom of the box.
To submit the grade: When you are done making comments, select one of the two options in the Grade dropdown at the top of the page: Pass or Incomplete.
Note: you will not be able to Submit the essay to the student until a grade has been applied.
4. You must click Submit at the bottom of the page to save and submit the graded essay. You cannot make changes after clicking Submit.